Health Action by People (HAP), a not-for-profit organization, is registered under the Travancore Cochin Literary, Scientific and Charitable Societies Act (Act XII) of 1955 on December 1, 1993 (Registration No.717). It is a non-governmental organization (NGO) and is devoted to research on health-related problems. As per the Memorandum of Association and the Rules and Regulations, the aims and objectives of HAP are the following:
- Create awareness among the people on the importance of the individual, family and societal level actions to usher in health for the people.
- Generate peopleâ€™s participation in actions aimed at improving the quality of life.
- Undertake innovative action research involving people, aimed at cost-effective and culturally accepted health interventions.
- Generate peopleâ€™s movements against exploitation of health by vested interests in the food, pharmaceutical, cosmetic and related consumer industries.
- Undertake production of information packages with a view to achieve the objectives 1-4 above.
- Collaborate with national and international bodies/agencies involved in health promotion.
- Undertake any activity approved by the Executive Council of the HAP aimed at generating funds for carrying on with the objectives.
Recognition by Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR)
The recognition granted earlier by the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) as a Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (SIRO), under the Scheme on Scientific and Industrial Research Organisations (SIROs)-1988, was renewed for a further period of 3 years ending on March 31, 2020