Health Action by People had instituted an Award, named after Dr. C.R.Soman, the founder-Chairman of HAP, who passed away on November 6, 2009. It is intended to encourage original research among the post-graduate students of the Government medical colleges in Kerala. The Award was proposed to be given every year to the person whose Post Graduate thesis during the previous year was adjudged to be the best. The Award carries a cash prize of Rs.25,000/- and a Certificate.
List of award winners:-
1. 2010- Dr. M.V.Sajna, (Department of Community Medicine, Medical College, Kozhikode).
2. 2012-Dr. P.V.Lisha, Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Medical College, Kozhikode was selected for the Second Dr. C.R.Soman Award and it was presented to her in a function organized in the Trivandrum Medical College on January 13, 2012.
3. 2013- Dr. R.Devisree, Department of Gynaecology, Medical College,Trivandrum was selected for the Third Dr C.R.Soman Award, which was presented on January 11, 2013.
4. 2014-Dr. Poornakala (Department Pathology, Medical College, Trivandrum) was selected for the Fourth Dr C.R.Soman Award, which was presented on January 11, 2014.
5. 2014- Dr M Dhanya Unnikrishnan,Department of Paediatrics, SAT, Medical college, Trivandrum was selected for the Fifth Dr C.R.Soman Award, which was presented in a function organised on December 20, 2014 at the Old Auditorium of Trivandrum Medical College.
6. 2015-Dr. Hisham Moosan, Assistant professor, Community Medicine, Government Medical College, Palakkad was selected for the Sixth Dr C.R.Soman Award. It was awarded by Dr.Ramadas Pisharady,Former Principal, Government Medical college, Trivandrum on December, 04,2015 at the Old Auditorium of Trivandrum Medical College.
7. 2016-Dr.Koushik department of Paediatrician Government Medical College, Kottayam was selected for the Seventh Dr.C R Soman AwardIt was awarded by Dr Ramankutty, Chairman, Health Action by People on December 2, 2016 at the Old Auditorium of Trivandrum Medical College.
8. 2017-Dr.Navya J Thaikattil , MD community Medicine, Amala Institute of Medical Science, Thrissur was selected for the Eighth Dr.C R Soman Award. It was awarded by Smt.K K Shylaja, Hon. Minister for Health and Social Justice, Government of Kerala on10th November, 2017 at the Old Auditorium of Trivandrum Medical College.
9. 2018-Dr.Archana Selvaraj: Department of Psychiatry, Government Medical College, Trivandrum was selected for the 9th Dr C.R.Soman Award, for her thesis Prevalence of alcohol use and alcohol use disorder among Male patients admitted in a tertiary care centre which was presented in a function organised on November 8th 2018 at the physiology lecture Hall of Trivandrum Medical College. For deciding on the winner of the Ninth Award, the following 5 persons were invited to make a presentation on their dissertations before an invited audience.
1. Dr.Archana Selvaraj - Dept Psychiatry Gvt Medical College, Trivandrum
Prevalence of alcohol use and alcohol use disorder among Male patients admitted in a tertiary care centre
2. Dr.Deepthimol jose - Senior Resident, Dept of Pulmonary Medicine, GMC, Thiruvananthapuram
Proportion of Post Operative Pulmonary Complications
3. 3 Dr.Dilna.N M.S - Otorhinolaryngology, Department ENT, Government Medical college, Kozhikode
Early carcinoma tongue-Proportion of occult metastasis and disease-free survival at 1 year
4. 4 Dr.Karthik Balasundaran - Department of Paediatrics, Govt. Medical college, Trissur
Neurodevelopmental outcome in very low birth weight babies with abnormal doppler and normal doppler at corrected gestational age of 1 year-A prospective study
5. 5 Dr.Renu Venugopal - Senior Resident, Department of Dermatology, Government Medical College, Trissur.
Clinico sonological study of Peripheral nerve involvement in Leprosy - A cross sectional study
On the basis of the presentation, the Judging Committee adjudged Dr.Archana Selvaraj to be the winner of the award. It was awarded by Honourable Governor of Kerala, Shri. Justice(Retd) P Sathasivam on 9th Nov 2018 at the old Auditorium, Trivandrum Medical College.