Health Action by People had instituted an Award, named after Dr. C.R.Soman, the founder-Chairman of HAP, who passed away on November 6, 2009. It is intended to encourage original research among the post-graduate students of the Government medical colleges in Kerala. The Award was proposed to be given every year to the person whose Post Graduate thesis during the previous year was adjudged to be the best. The Award carries a cash prize of Rs.25,000/- and a Certificate.
List of award winners:-
1. 2010- Dr. M.V.Sajna, (Department of Community Medicine, Medical College, Kozhikode).
2. 2012-Dr. P.V.Lisha, Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Medical College, Kozhikode was selected for the Second Dr. C.R.Soman Award and it was presented to her in a function organized in the Trivandrum Medical College on January 13, 2012.
3. 2013- Dr. R.Devisree, Department of Gynaecology, Medical College,Trivandrum was selected for the Third Dr C.R.Soman Award, which was presented on January 11, 2013.
4. 2014-Dr. Poornakala (Department Pathology, Medical College, Trivandrum) was selected for the Fourth Dr C.R.Soman Award, which was presented on January 11, 2014.
5. 2014- Dr M Dhanya Unnikrishnan,Department of Paediatrics, SAT, Medical college, Trivandrum was selected for the Fifth Dr C.R.Soman Award, which was presented in a function organised on December 20, 2014 at the Old Auditorium of Trivandrum Medical College.
6. 2015-Dr. Hisham Moosan, Assistant professor, Community Medicine, Government Medical College, Palakkad was selected for the Sixth Dr C.R.Soman Award. It was awarded by Dr.Ramadas Pisharady,Former Principal, Government Medical college, Trivandrum on December, 04,2015 at the Old Auditorium of Trivandrum Medical College.
7. 2016-Dr.Koushik department of Paediatrician Government Medical College, Kottayam was selected for the Seventh Dr.C R Soman AwardIt was awarded by Dr Ramankutty, Chairman, Health Action by People on December 2, 2016 at the Old Auditorium of Trivandrum Medical College.
8. 2017-Dr.Navya J Thaikattil , MD community Medicine, Amala Institute of Medical Science, Thrissur was selected for the Eighth Dr.C R Soman Award. It was awarded by Smt.K K Shylaja, Hon. Minister for Health and Social Justice, Government of Kerala on10th November, 2017 at the Old Auditorium of Trivandrum Medical College.
9. 2018 – Dr Archana Selvaraj, Department of Psychiatry, Government Medical College, Trivandrum was selected for the 9th Dr C R Soman Award. She was awarded by Honourable Governor of Kerala, Shri.Justice (Rtd) P Sathasivam on 9th Nov 2018 at the Old Auditorium of Trivandrum Medical College.
10. 2019 – Dr Joe Abraham, Department of Community Medicine, Amala Institute of Medical Science, Thrissur was selected for the 10th Dr C R Soman Award. He was awarded by Dr Rajan N Khobragade IAS, Health Secretary, Government of Kerala on 15th November 2019 at the Old Auditorium of Trivandrum Medical College.
11. 2020- Dr Arya Rahul, Department of Community Medicine, Trivandrum was selected for the 11th Dr C R Soman Award for her Thesis ‘Efficacy of Non –Pharmacological Intervention in Controlling Diabetes Among Patients Attending NCD Clinics of Primary Health Care Settings’ which was presented in a function organized on March 13th 2021 at the office premises of Health Action by People.For deciding as the winner of the 11th Award, the following four persons were invited to make presentation on their dissertation before a distinguished panel.
1. Dr Prajitha C Pillai - Department of Community Medicine, Government Medical College, Thiruvanathapuram.
Health Care Seeking Behavior among Differently Abled Individuals in Thiruvananthapuram Corporation
2. Dr Gayathri A V - Department ofCommunity Medicine, Pushpagiri Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre, Thiruvalla.
Work Ability Index and Its Correlates among Police Officers in a District Of South Kerala
3. Dr Arya Rahul - Department of Community Medicine, Government Medical College, Thiruvanathapuram.
Efficacy of Non- Pharmacological Intervention in Controlling Diabetes among Patients Attending NCD Clinics of Primary Health Care Settings.
4. Dr Shikha N V - Department of Pediatrics, Government Medical College, Kozhikode.
A Study to Detect Hypovolemia in EdematousChildren with Nephrotic Syndrome Using Urinary Indices and Ultrasonography
On the basis of the presentation, the Judging committee adjudged Dr Arya Rahul to be the winner. Dr K Vijayakumar, Hon Secretary, Health Action by People handed over the award on 13th March 2021 at HAP premises